Saturday, April 30, 2011

Goals galore as Bath and Weston-super-Mare draw

Weston-super-Mare 3 - 3 Bath City (Blue Square South)

As fans left Woodspring Park they will no doubt have agreed that neither team deserved to lose this game.

In an enthralling match which saw both sides throw caution to the wind, it was football which was ultimately the winner.

Bath finally took the lead when striker Wayne Gray scored a powerful effort on 57 minutes. Striker Josh Llewellyn then equalised for Weston-super-Mare in the 67th minute with a placed shot.

Experienced striker Marc McGregor put the home side in front in the 75th minute with a well timed close range finish. Bath's equaliser came through Amadou Kouman as he seized on Clayton Fortune's mistake to score a real poacher's effort. McGregor then added his 2nd goal of the game with a close range header on 84 minutes.

The Weston-super-Mare fans might have hoped that McGregor had scored the winner but it was not to be. Bath's equaliser came through Jason Mycoe as he seized on Tony Bedeau's mistake to score a placed shot. Better late than never for Bath and the fans were clearly delighted with Mycoe's impact.

Attendance: 509

We picked up a solid 1-0 win over Braintree to place us in 2nd, but Chelmsford still claimed a victory to keep them one point ahead. Going into the Weston-super-Mare game we needed Chelmsford to falter as well as peg a win for ourselves. Into the 2nd half we were relatively comfortable at 1-0 up, but 2 quickfire goals had us on full press to net some more ourselves. In the end a flurry of goals provided a great spectacle, but the 3-3 result meant our only hope was Chelmsford losing against Woking at home. It was not to be as they thumped in 3-0 to take the title.

Luckily Braintree and Salisbury both tied too, so we ended up 2nd overall. Not that it matters too much, making he playoff is enough to have a shot at promotion. Hopefully the finals campaign can help the bank balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment